This week I sat down with Laura Morganelli, CFP® to talk about how to handle employee stock options and some of the things to be aware of if and when you decide to exercise those options.
Laura joined Abacus Wealth Partners in 2015. With over 7 years of experience in personal finance, her main goal is to bring a sense of peace in people’s financial lives. She recognizes that financial planning and investment management topics can sometimes feel complex and scary and is passionate about providing guidance and education in simple, human, and enjoyable ways. Laura lives in Philadelphia. When she is not nerding out over Excel spreadsheets or burying her nose in a book, she can be found at the dog park with her pup, Bella, working out, enjoying happy hour and trying new restaurants with friends, or traveling to new cities.
Family is also important to her, considering their influence is a big part of who she is today. As a child her parents often told her “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.” Those words have stuck with her over the years. Her eagerness to build knowledge, coupled with her love of meeting new people, has made financial planning the perfect fit.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What stock options are and what you can or can’t do with them
- Exercise price, stock price, vesting dates, grant dates, and more explained
- What exercising your stock options looks like
- Different avenues for exercising your shares
- The role taxes play upon exercising your options
- What a spread is and how it can impact your taxes and compensation
- The difference between non-qualified and incentive stock options
- Capital gains tax considerations
- Considerations for holding versus selling options
- A common misconception to be aware of
- The benefits of being awarded stock options and how they can enhance your life
- Vesting schedules
- What to be cautious of regarding expiration dates
GET SOCIAL WITH LAURA AND LET HER KNOW YOU HEARD ABOUT HER HERE
ENJOY THE SHOW?