This week I sat down again with Beth Greulich, CFP® to talk through how to financially plan for your kids to go to college and some tricks along the way.
Beth is a Certified Financial Planner™, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, and Partner at Abacus. After a career in market research, she took some time off to raise a family. As she considered what to do next, she was driven by the memory of her grandmother and her desire to help others who lacked confidence with their money management skills.
As a financial advisor, she works closely with her clients, many of whom are women, to develop a unique and personalized financial plan that solves their specific needs. It’s extremely important to her that each of her clients clearly understand and can visualize the different paths/options that lead them to their financial independence. There are many forks in the road of life, so it’s important and extremely empowering to understand the long-term impact of each decision along the way.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The main concern people have around funding education for their children
- The first step in planning for college for your kids
- When to start exploring college campuses
- The importance of exploring college interests early
- The best time to open a 529 plan
- What it looks like to set up a 529 plan before your child is born
- Where a college fund should rank on your financial priorities
- What should be funded before the college savings account
- Considerations when thinking about college financial aid
- The most important things for kids to keep in mind while in college
- When to speak to your kid about financial aid available for college
- How subsidized and unsubsidized loans can come into play
- The amount of loan a student can take before having a cosigner
- How to help your children feel empowered when making college decisions
- Shop around and negotiate! Here’s how
- How to financially plan for college if you’re unsure if you child will even attend
- What to do if you have a surplus in your 529 plan
GET SOCIAL WITH BETH AND LET HER KNOW YOU HEARD ABOUT HER HERE
ENJOY THE SHOW?