This week I sat down with Olympian and financial planner Lauryn Williams to discuss how to master money topics, specifically as it relates to athletes.
Lauryn, CFP® is a 4-time Olympian, 3-time Olympic medalist and the first American woman to earn a medal in both the Summer and Winter Olympics Games.
While pursuing professional sports Lauryn interacted with not one, but two financial advisors that didn’t provide the services she needed. She asked friends what they were doing about their finances and the answers were vague and unsettling. Constantly looking for ways to make a difference in the lives of others, she decided to put her finance degree and MBA to use to fill the gap for young professional. Eager to learn everything she then pursued the Certified Financial Planning certification.
Her company, Worth Winning, offers virtual services to help young professional get the answers to the financial questions that matter most to them. Whether that is creating a budget, figuring out a plan for paying off student loans, setting goals for savings or understanding your 401(k), Worth Winning is ready to help with all things personal finance.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Lauryn’s Olympic Journey and the worst place to end up in at the Olympics
- Different financial income streams athletes tend to have
- The financial effects of getting fourth place in the Olympics
- Lauryn’s moment when she knew she needed to take charge of her money
- The different types of financial advisors and the ones to be cautious of
- What led Lauryn to the Certified Financial Planner coursework
- The story behind Lauryn’s podcast Worth Listening
- Why everyone needs a financial planner, regardless of your industry
- Lauryn’s transition from an Olympic athlete to a financial advisor
- How to look at transitions
- What planning ahead can do for you in all aspects of life
- How to determine if you could you pivot if you needed to
- Advice Lauryn has if you have two platforms you are entertaining
- Why Lauryn wrote her book The Oval Office
- The importance of being authentically you
LINKS WE MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
GET SOCIAL WITH LAURYN AND LET HER KNOW YOU HEARD ABOUT HER HERE
ENJOY THE SHOW?