This week I sat down with fellow Financial Planner and Abacus partner Neela Hummel to discuss what we see in breadwinning women.
Neela is passionate about women taking their finances to the next level. Women are increasingly out-earning and in control of more money than their male counterparts, yet many company policies and financial services are leaving women out. Her goal is to step outside the “paint it pink” model and tailor financial planning to the unique needs of different types of women. As any woman knows, different women have different needs, and She specializes in working with breadwinners, decision-makers, and young inheritors.
Neela is a partner with Abacus Wealth Partners. Since 2009, Neela has helped grow a firm that values and supports women through flexible policies, career advancement, and equal pay for equal work. As a consequence, 50% of Abacus’ advisors are women, in an industry were 20% is the norm. Neela was named as Investment News’ “40 Under 40” for financial advisors in 2016 and is a graduate of UC Berkeley.
Neela lives in Los Angeles with her wonderful husband, two adorable children, and two rescue dogs. She is an avid traveler and foodie, taking any opportunity to visit a new country, try a new restaurant, or hone her language skills (she peaks both Spanish and Italian).
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Neela’s background and her path to Abacus Wealth Partners
- The biggest challenge breadwinning women tend to face
- The financial opportunities that benefit breadwinning women over men
- Other factors to consider besides the dollars and cents when looking at your finances
- Why outsourcing can be a crucial tool for breadwinning women
- What it looks like for Neela being the breadwinner in her family
- Why you should use a financial planner when talking finances with your significant other
- Why you must separate out money for your financial goals
- Why so many women are asking what is their enough
- The benefits of being a breadwinning woman (or having one in your life)
- The impact breadwinning women will have on future generations
- What a family needs to be financially successful, regardless of who is the breadwinner
GET SOCIAL WITH NEELA AND LET HER KNOW YOU HEARD ABOUT HER HERE
ENJOY THE SHOW?